Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Experience so far . . .

I have to say, that before starting this class, I was probably more "pro" coal.  But the more I'm spending time in the actual mining "environments", I seem to be swaying more towards the "anti" side.  I'm beginning to wonder what my opinion will be by the end of the week.  I've learned that I assume a lot about the mining process and that sometimes pictures aren't worth a thousand words.  Because, I've seen pictures of coal mines and the environment surrounding them and they don't always show the "true" story.  Just like any business.  Along on our trip we have had the blessing to have a wonderful, knowlegeable man, Mike Little, to give us the history of the area as well as a perspective of each aspect of the mining process.  From what the mine operators objectives were/are and how they are able to prosper, to the environmental issues and why some things appear to work and some things do not.  He's opened my eyes and I think has made me a SMARTER West Virginian!!  Thanks Mike!!

No comments:

Post a Comment