Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ethel Chilton Mines


Left Fork of Dingess Run (Ethel Hollow)
.35 mile northeast of Rt 17 on Ethel Hollow Road
Ethel  Logan County  West Virginia

Ethel was a coal mine that my dad worked in from 1949 until 1952. In 1952, he got a job with C&O and left the mines.  He said that when he left, he was making $2.32/hr in the mines and started with the railroad at $1.50/hr.  He got a decrease in pay but he said he knew it was the right thing to do . . . to leave the mines.  I haven't been able to find much information about Ethel other than through my dad, but I would like to share with you what I have found. 

Below is a picture of one of my dad's pay envelopes. If you click on it, you'll be able to see a larger view.  I'm working on a "formal" interview with him so I can share the information with you.



Here are a few links to pages I've found that have some information about Ethel:

Ethel Memories web page
http://loganwv.homestead.com/EthelWVbyHassell.html

Description of Coal Mine PDF web page

Pictures of Ethel Coal Mine Supply building


2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to find this site!! My dad worked there in the 1940's, and my family lived in Ethel.

    Do you know if they have employment records available for that time?

    ReplyDelete